The warm, fragrant smell of roasting chicken is so comforting, especially now that the weather is turning cool and rainy.
As the days get shorter, the need for more comforting, warm, nourishing foods is growing, and what could be better than a simple recipe that is so healthy and delicious!
This recipe is completely inspired by wanting to have a full meal with minimal work so I can get back to doing puzzles with my daughter. She suddenly loves puzzles and wants to do them over and over again. And it is not easy to put together a dog or fish puzzle while chopping vegetables and basting chicken. I’ve tried.
This takes me about 10 minutes to prepare, then it goes in the oven and you only have to check it once or twice. It’s perfect for those rainy puzzle days.
The other inspiration is that I wanted to make some real, homemade, super healthy, mouth-watering chicken broth (and then chicken soup), so we have to get started by roasting the chicken. So first, the melt-in-your-mouth, allergy-free oven roasted chicken and veggies recipe. And keep a look out for that chicken soup recipe.
Oven Roasted Chicken and Veggies
- 4 organic leg quarters, or 4 thighs/4 drumsticks (bone in), or equivalent
- 1 large organic zucchini, chopped
- 2-3 organic red potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 large organic onion, chopped
- 1 large organic yellow squash, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon organic dried basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon organic dried rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil (or your favorite oil, but it’s super good with coconut oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups organic cooked rice (you can cook it in chicken broth if you have it for some nice flavoring)
- lemon wedges (optional)
- Knife and cutting board
- Glass baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash chicken parts in a non-toxic fruit and veggie rinse (Sunrider’s brand is the best b/c it is ingestible). Drain and pat dry.
- Coat your baking dish with coconut oil.
- Add the roasted veggies and then top with the chicken.
- Coat the chicken in the rest of the coconut oil and rub well so they are evenly coated.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper liberally over chicken and veggies.
- Cook at 400F for 30 min, then lower the temperature to 375F and cook another 20 min, or until the internal temperature of the thighs are 180F and the juices run clear. You may need to add more time depending on your oven.
- Serve with a bed of rice and a squirt of fresh lemon over the top.