I’ve been trying to find the most appetizing, appealing ways to get lots of veggies into my daughter’s diet.
Then a wonderful thing happened.
The other day, a friend of ours drops by with a present. Now, this friend is an amazing cook and I hope I can persuade her to do a few guest posts for the wonderful recipes she has. She is one of those people who can really send love into food, and you feel it when you eat her meals!
She kept telling us about the wonderful qualities of a Cuisinart food processor, and how they are invaluable in a kitchen. I thought it sounded good, but I’m pretty simple here, and I thought a Vitamix blender and a scale were about it for me when it comes to kitchen gadgets.
Then she let me borrow one of hers.
Oh dear, it is SO useful.
I used it every few days or so, thanking her when I used it. I could make things so quickly that before had taken hours. I kept looking on Craigslist to buy one for myself, knowing she’d need hers back soon, but nothing was appearing so far.
Then there was a knock at the door.
And here she came, presenting us with a brand new Cuisinart 11! It was such a beautiful surprise! She has a beautiful heart, and a generous spirit.
So this recipe is dedicated to our friend, Zofia!
Thank you Zofia!
These pancakes are a great way to get extra veggies into your diet. My daughter loves pancakes. She loves latkes. So we merged those two ideas with veggies. You could also add apple (we have and it’s WONDERFUL) or any veggie that can grate well, like turnips, for example. This is the recipe we used tonight, and it was gooood.
- 1 organic zucchini
- 1 organic yellow squash
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk organic fennel
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 cup organic spinach, chopped well (optional)
- 3 organic potatoes (red or yukon gold)
- 4 organic eggs
- 4 Tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- a little oil for frying
- Cuisinart!! or grater
- Pan and spatula
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Chop (into large pieces) the zucchini, squash, fennel, carrot and potatoes.
- Place them in the Cuisinart with the grater attachment and zap! They are grated.
- Either squeeze the grated veggies in a cheesecloth, or put them in a strainer, gently press water out, and let it stand for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine veggies, eggs, onion, spinach (if using), salt and pepper. Then add flour and mix well.
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat. Once it is nice and toasty, put on a little oil. I usually only use oil for the first round, and after that no more. The pancakes don’t stick to our pans, so I prefer less oil, but do what works for you.
- Place several large spoonfuls of the veggie mix on the frying pan. They should sizzle right when you put them on (then you know the pan is hot enough).
- Cook for about 4 min, then flip and cook 4 more min. They should be golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve with salad, condiments and lots of love!