My husband had never had parfait.
So he never really understood the line in Shrek where Donkey says to Shrek,
You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, “Let’s get some parfait,” they say, “[Heck] no, I don’t like no parfait”? Parfaits are delicious!
On his birthday, I asked our daughter what we should make for Daddy for breakfast, and you know what she said? Parfait. This little darling remembered from a conversation a few days before that he had never had parfait, and she requested it for his birthday breakfast. It’s amazing how these little ones teach us to live from our hearts.
The crumb layer is actually adapted from a recipe by Will Sanderson in his cookbook The Tara Cookbook: Cooking with Love. It is a lovely cookbook, but I don’t think it is in print anymore. It has a wealth of great recipes that taste divine!
This particular parfait is red, white and blue, so it’s perfect for the 4th of July. Happy Independence Day!
- 6-7 organic strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 2 1/2 cups organic almond yogurt (either berry or vanilla or plain)
- 3 organic mint leaves
- 1/4 cup organic nuts (almonds and cashews work well)
- 1 organic date
- 3 organic dried apricots
- Dash organic cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon organic soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut cookies
- Food processor
- Cutting board and knife
- In a food processor, blend nuts, dates, apricots, oil, cinnamon, soy sauce and cookies until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Layer in a glass like so, making two or three layers:
- Serve with a sprig of mint on top! Eat it right away as the crumb mixture can get too moist if it sits too long with the yogurt.